Walk The Talk, LLC -      Atlanta Member of the OCD Foundation
My Blog

University Student's Experience with OCD

APRIL 18, 2017
THE ANDERSON UNIVERSITY STUDENT NEWSPAPER OCD IN ME: REACHING OUT FOR HELP IN THE FIGHT MARCH 31, 2017 | PEYTON BENNETT
Some of the earliest memories I have are of me as a two or three year old asking my mom multiple times every day if I had to go get my booster shots. “Mom?” I would ask meekly.
“Yeah, buddy?” my mom would reply.
“Am I getting shots today?”
She would sigh, and reply sweetly with, “No, buddy.” Eventually I got over my fear of shots, but I never quite got over all the fear in my life. Naturally, my worries matured with me. By middle school, I was afraid of bird flu, mad cow disease and any of the other terrifying ailments that signaled the end of times in the mid-2000s. This perpetual anxiety is something that has been with me for my whole life. I didn’t know any better. I thought it was normal to spend 4-5 hours a day worrying that I was about to die from an incurable disease. I thought it was normal to have to ask my parents 13 or 14 times a day if I was healthy, safe and secure. I never thought to seek help. Despite the disturbing thoughts that constantly plagued me, I chose to keep quiet and cope. To admit that I had a problem would be admitting that I wasn’t a good Christian. Far too many trusted adults had written off my anxiety as something that I just needed to give up to God. So many of them quoted scriptures to me about birds in the sky or flowers in the field. Several went as far as saying that my identity as a worrier was God’s gifting to me; they claimed that my worry made me a more empathetic person. If I was called to be martyred by my thoughts, then by God, I would do it. So, I carried that cross. For two decades, I willingly lived with constant anxiety because I didn’t think that treatment was an option. I knew that my life could be better. I knew that I could be happier, but I buried those ideals and slogged onward. I didn’t seek help until someone close to me got sick... really sick. My anxiety became unbearable. If it could happen to them, I’d think to myself, surely it will happen to me. I would spend hours washing my hands, sanitizing surfaces, checking my temperature, all to ensure that I wasn’t getting a disease. Many days I would hardly get out of bed for fear of the disease that lurked outside of my room. My life was totally taken over by anxiety. Fortunately, I have the best family in the world. They gathered around me, and without passing judgment, were there for me in the midst of my struggle. Eventually, they were able to convince me to seek help. Six months later, I am on medication and in treatment for OCD. My life has never been better. Though I still find myself caught in my obsessive-compulsive cycle from time to time, I have never had so much clarity and so much peace.

If you ever find yourself in a similar place that I was, just know that you deserve to be happy and healthy, regardless of what others may say. Please seek help. It was the best decision I’ve ever made. Peyton is a junior
visual communication design major from Cincinnati, Ohio.

16 Comments to University Student's Experience with OCD:

Comments RSS
Marcus Darvall on Tuesday, August 08, 2017 3:06 PM

the best resume ever written on Saturday, August 12, 2017 8:49 AM
On the off chance that you ever end up in a comparable place simply realize that you should be glad and sound, paying little mind to what others may state. If it's not too much trouble look for offer assistance.

Lipozene Reviews on Friday, August 25, 2017 7:07 AM
Students of university have been experiencing all the issues and matters for the standardized education in life. The curriculum of the university students has been changed and expanded for the fulfillment of the goals of all much needed and aspired terms for the students.

promote your book on Saturday, September 16, 2017 3:45 PM
Peyton, this is really an amazing writing about University Student's Experience with OCD and I am in agreement with you dear. Love the writing as you describe in detail. Thank you so much and keep up the great work.

54 on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 12:25 AM

AINiT Immigration Services on Saturday, December 16, 2017 7:12 AM
These are the best and sure-fire tips for getting admissions in top-notch universities and get the subjects you are in excel of.

Sample on Friday, May 11, 2018 1:47 AM
great post

Franklin on Monday, June 04, 2018 6:31 AM
I am glad to see Mr. Abdulrazaq performing good job.

Professional-Cloud-Architect exam dumps on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 9:26 AM
Awesome blog. I would love to see true life prepared to walk, so please share more informative updates. Great work keeps it up.

superior paper on Friday, July 06, 2018 7:39 AM
This is the guide I was extremely searching for. This article demonstrated to me proper methodologies to offer my home on advance with an extraordinary subtle elements including how to pitch it to the bank. You're the best!

2018 820-445 dumps on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 2:12 AM
We Provide Our Customers With Latest and up-to-date Dumps Questions & Answers with 100% Exam Passing Guarantee. We Promise Exceptional Success in First Attempt.

Application Development Agency on Wednesday, August 15, 2018 3:59 AM
Well done job by the blogger, this is really informative, i have also shared to others, your analysis is very good and you have written everything in detail.

dsf on Monday, August 20, 2018 2:39 PM
df

www.fratres.bg on Tuesday, September 04, 2018 5:53 AM
Find Job Vacancies Close to You. Personalized Job Alerts by Email. Access to Jobs near You. Free Email Job Alerts. Personalised Vacancies.

Anonymous on Thursday, September 13, 2018 6:43 AM
Nice article. I think it is useful and unique article. I love this kind of article and this kind of blog. I have enjoyed it very much. Thanks for your website. Relief For Hip Pain

fghfgh on Wednesday, September 19, 2018 2:38 AM